Renew Driver License
Renewing your Driver License
If your driver's license is about to expire, you need to act now. Renewing your license before it's too late can save you a lot of time and money. Our staff has researched the driver's license renewal process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started..
Driver's License Renewal in Louisiana
How to renew your Louisiana driver's license
You never want to be caught with an expired driver's license in Louisiana, the state of Louisiana allows you to replace your Louisiana driver's license up to six months before your license will expire.
You are required to renew your Louisiana driver's license every four years on the day of your birthday.If your license is already past the due date of replacing your driver's license you will have 10 days to renew your Louisiana drivers license without having to pay a $15 late fee. Keep in mind:
- If your license has been expired a year or more, you must take the vision and written exams again.
- If you let it expire for two years or more, you'll be required to take the vision, written, and driving exams again.
- If you don't need to come in, there will be an invitation for you to renew online, by mail, or using the interactive voice response (IVR). Your invitation will also include a voter registration application.
- The state doesn't allow you to renew your license or card by mail, online, or using IVR every time. You'll have to show up at an OMV office once every eight years to get a new photo.
- If you renew by mail, online, or using IVR, you won't receive a new license. You'll get a renewal sticker to attach to the back of the license.
- Fees range from $21.50 to $24.50, depending on which parish you live in.
You will receive a Louisiana driver's license renewal notice 100 days before the expiration date.
If you are eligible to renew your Louisiana driver's license online, visit Louisiana's Driver's License Renewal. Be prepared to pay an extra renewal fee if you decide to renew online, also keep in mind to have your driver's license, a valid credit card and your Louisiana driver's license renewal invitation.
If you are eligible to use Interactive Voice Response, call 1-888-956-5111 and follow the instructions.
To Renew your Louisiana driver's license by Mail:
- Complete the Application for License or Identification Card.
- Indicate that you're using the application for renewal purposes.
Mail the application and appropriate fees to:
Office of Motor Vehicles
Vehicle Renewal Mail-In Unit
P.O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896
To renew your Louisiana driver's license in person:
Take your license or card, along with your proof of insurance if you own a vehicle. You also need to pay the appropriate fees.