Wisconsin Drivers License Renewal
Renew Driver License
Renewing your Driver License
If your driver's license is about to expire, you need to act now. Renewing your license before it's too late can save you a lot of time and money. Our staff has researched the driver's license renewal process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started..
Driver's License Renewal in Wisconsin
How to renew your Wisconsin driver's license
Never operate a motor vehicle without a valid driver's license. If you get caught driving without a valid driver's license you could get fined, or worse get a ticket.
You will need to renew your Wisconsin driver's license when:
- Your Wisconsin driver's license is valid for eight years and will generally expire on your birthday. If you are under 21 years of age, your license will expire on your 21st birthday.
- The Wisconsin Department of Transportation will mail you a renewal notice 45 to 60 days prior to expiration.
- You can renew your license any time in the year leading up to its expiration.
- If you renew your driver's license after expiration you will have to pay an additional $5 late fee.
To renew in person, go to your local DMV office and bring:
- Your current license.
- The renewal notice (If you don't have it, fill out Wisconsin Driver License/Identity Card application form MV3001).
- Your Social Security number
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required
- Renewal fee of $34, payable by cash or check (credit cards not accepted).
To renew your Wisconsin driver's license by mail you have to be temporarily out Wisconsin when you are required to renew:
- Fill in the Wisconsin Drivers License/Identification Card Application form.
- Have a vision test done by a vision specialist and have them fill the Certificate of Vision Examination.
Mail the above forms along with your mailing address and a check or money order made payable to "Registration Fee Trust" for the renewal fee ($34 for an 8-year renewal), to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Driver Information Section
P.O. Box 7983
Madison, WI 53707-7983