Renewing your Driver License
If your driver's license is about to expire, you need to act now. Renewing your license before it's too late can save you a lot of time and money. Our staff has researched the driver's license renewal process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started..
Driver's License Renewal in Georgia
How to renew your driver's license in Georgia
You have the option to renew your driver's license in person at any local DMV, by mail, over the phone or the Internet. If you are over 64 you are not allowed to renew by mail, phone or internet you must visit a local office and take a vision test.
How to know when to renew your driver's license:
- Sixty days prior to your license expiration date, which is typically your birthday, Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) will send you a renewal application. You will receive the renewal application if DDS has your digital signature, photograph and fingerprint on file. In addition, your driving record must be clear of any suspensions, cancellations or revocations.
- The renewal application will be mailed to your current address on file with DDS. You should notify DDS of any address changes.
- You must visit the DDS Customer Service Center if you wish to make changes to your name or address or other information. However, qualified licenses are eligible for a one-time free address change during the renewal cycle.
- Georgia driver's licenses are generally renewed for 5 or 10 years.
You have the option to renew in person just bring:
- Your expiring license or Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- A 5-year license renewal fee is $25 and a 10-year license renewal is $35. The acceptable form of payment is by cash, check, money order or credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express and Discover). If you choose to renew your license by mail or Internet, you are eligible for a $5 discount.
Your license will arrive by mail within four weeks.
How to renew by phone:
You can renew by phone you must have your license renewal information at hand and call the Georgia Customer Service Center at (678) 413-8400. Call (866) 754-3687 if you are calling from outside the Atlanta metro area.
How to renew by mail make sure to complete:
- The renewal application form
- Credit card information for renewal fee of $25 for five-year renewal and $35 for 10-year renewal. There is no service fee to renew the license by mail.
Mail all the documents to:
Department of Driver Services
Post Office Box 80447
Conyers, GA 30013
You will get your renewal license within four weeks.
If you choose to renew online you must meet the following:
- You cannot renew online on or after the expiration date.
- You will need the Resident Identification Number (RIN) located on the renewal notice.
- You can renew online by following these simple steps.
- Credit card information for renewal fee of $25 for five-year renewal and $35 for 10-year renewal.