Renewing your Driver License
If your driver's license is about to expire, you need to act now. Renewing your license before it's too late can save you a lot of time and money. Our staff has researched the driver's license renewal process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started..
Driver's License Renewal in Hawaii
How to renew your Hawaii driver's license
The first step in renewing your driver's license in Hawaii is to check the status. In order to drive legally in Hawaii, your driver's license must be up to date. You are allowed to renew your Hawaii driver's license up to six months before the expiration date.
To renew your Hawaii driver's license in person you must bring the following with you:
- Your expiring license or proper identification documents if the expiring license is not available
- The renewal fees, which is different in each county and depends on the validity of the license as well. The fees range between $5 and $18.
Please keep in mind you will be required to have your vision re-tested, picture taken and be fingerprinted again.
To renew your Hawaii driver's license by mail you will need to:
- Send a letter requesting to renew your license to the specific county
- Include details like full name, date of birth, address, Social Security Number, license expiry date and copy of current license or its number.
- The office will send you back a packet containing a Driver License Application, Medical and Vision testing forms, a Signature form and a Thumbprint impression form.
- Return the completed forms to the office.
The mailing addresses for each county are as follows:
City and County of Honolulu:
Driver License Section
P.O. Box 30340
Honolulu, HI 96820-0340
Fax: (808) 832-2904
County of Hawaii:
Driver Licensing Section
Hawaii County Police Department
349 Kapiolani St.
Hilo, HI 96720
Fax: (808) 961-8861
County of Kauai:
4444 Rice St.
Lihue, Kauai, HI 96766
Fax: (808) 241-6533
County of Maui:
County of Maui Service Center
Division of Motor Vehicles & Licensing
Attention: Renewal by Mail
70 E. Kaahumanu Ave., Suite A-17
Kahului, HI 96732-217